Acting Chief of Service, Orthopaedics, Harborview Medical Center
Director, Spine Service
Program Director, Spine Fellowship
College: B.Sc. with Honours in Biochemistry, McGill University, 1988
Medical School: McGill University, 1992
Residency: Rush-Presbyterian-St. Luke's Medical Center 1993-1997
Fellowship: Northwestern University, Spine Surgery, 1998-1999
Tampa General Hospital, Orthopedic Trauma, 1997-1998
Board Certification: Board Certified
UW Medicine Bio: http://www.uwmedicine.org/bios/carlo-bellabarba
About Dr. Bellabarba
Dr. Carlo Bellabarba is a graduate of McGill University in Montreal, Quebec. Following his training in Orthopedic Surgery at Rush-Presbyterian-St. Luke’s Medical Center in Chicago, Illinois he completed a Trauma Fellowship at Tampa General Hospital and then a Spine Fellowship at Northwestern University. He is currently a Professor at University of Washington in the Orthopedics and Neurosurgery departments.
He is the Director of the Spine ACE Program at Harborview Medical Center and is on the HMC Medical Staff Quality Assurance Committee, and Medical School Admissions Committee at University of Washington. He is on the Editorial Board for the Journal of Orthopedic Trauma and has presented at numerous medical meetings. Dr. Bellabarba has published several articles and book chapters.
- 2014 Top Doctors, Seattle Metropolitan Magazine, August 2014
- 2014 Top Doctors, Seattle Magazine, June 2014
- 2012 Top Doctors, Seattle Magazine, July 2012
- American Medical Association
- American Orthopedic Association
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons
- American Spinal Injury Association
- Cervical Spine Research Society
- North American Spine Society
- Orthopedic Trauma Association
- Society of Military Orthopedic Surgeons
- Western Orthopedic Association
- Washington State Orthopedic Association
- Washington State Medical Association
- Spine Faculty, AO/ASIF Continuing Education
- Orthopedic Faculty, AO/ASIF Continuing Education
Scientific Publications (PubMed Listing)
1. Schildhauer TA, Bellabarba C, Nork SE, Barei DP, Routt MLC, Chapman JR: Decompression and Lumbopelvic Fixation for High Grade Sacral Fracture-Dislocations with Spino-Pelvic Dissociation, J Orthop Trauma 20:447-457, 2006.
2. Bellabarba C, Mirza SK, West GA, Mann FA, Dailey AT, Newell DW, Chapman JR: Diagnosis and Treatment of Craniocervical Dissociation. One Institution?s Experience with 17 Consecutive Survivors over Eight Years. J Neurosurg Spine 4:429-440, 2006.
3. Bransford R, Bellabarba C, Thompson JH, Henley MB, Mirza SK, Chapman JR: The safety of fluoroscopically-assisted thoracic pedicle screw instrumentation for fracture stabilization. J Trauma 60(5):1047-1052, 2006.
4. Bellabarba C, Schildhauer TA, Vaccaro AR, Chapman JR: Complications associated with Surgical Stabilization of High-Grade Sacral Fracture-Dislocations with Spino-Pelvic Instability. Spine 31(11S):S80-88, 2006.
5. Bellabarba C, Ricci WM, Bolhofner BR: Distraction External Fixation in Lateral Compression Pelvic Fractures. J Orthop Trauma 20(1 Suppl):S7-S14, 2006
1. Bellabarba C, Elgafy H: Mechanisms of Injury in the Sacral Spine: Concepts, Pathomechanics, Classifications, Instability and Clinical Applications. Pediatric and Adult Spine Trauma. Kim DH, Ludwig SC, Vaccaro AR eds. Elsevier Press, Philadelphia PA.
2. Bellabarba C: Spine Trauma. Trauma Core Knowledge in Orthopaedics Series. Sanders RW ed. Elsevier Press, Philadelphia PA.
3. Bellabarba C, Chapman JR - Odontoid Screw Insertion. Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery. Bono CM and Vaccaro AR eds. Marcel-Dekker, New York, NY. Ch. 15.
4. Bellabarba C, Mirza SK, Chapman JR: Injuries to the Cervicocranium. Surgical Treatment of Orthopaedic Trauma. Stannard J, Kregor P and Schmidt A - eds. Thieme, New York NY.
5. Bellabarba C, Barei DP, Sanders RW: Dislocations of the Foot. Surgery of the Foot and Ankle (8th ed.). Mann RA and Coughlin MJ - eds, C.V. Mosby, St. Louis.
6. Bellabarba C, Anderson PA: Injuries of the Lower Cervical Spine. Rothman-Simeone The Spine, 5 ed. Herkowitz HN, Garfin SR, Eismont FJ, Bell GR, Balderston RA eds. Elsevier Press, Philadelphia PA. Ch. 68, pp 1100 - 1131, 2006.
7. McHenry T, Bellabarba C, Chapman JR: Sacral Fractures. Rothman-Simeone The Spine, 5 ed. Herkowitz HN, Garfin SR, Eismont FJ, Bell GR, Balderston RA eds. Elsevier Press, Philadelphia PA. Ch 71. pp 1172 - 1184, 2006.
8. Bellabarba C, Mirza SK, Chapman JR: Injuries to the Craniocervical Junction. Rockwood & Green, Fractures in Adults, 6 ed. Bucholz RW, Heckman JD, Court-Brown CM eds. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia PA. Chapter 38, pp 1435 - 1496, 2006.
9. Mirza SK, Bellabarba C, Chapman JR: Principles of Spine Trauma Care. Rockwood & Green, Fractures in Adults, 6 ed. Bucholz RW, Heckman JD, Court-Brown CM eds. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia PA. Chapter 37, pp 1401 - 1434, 2006.
10. Bellabarba C, McHenry T, Chapman JR: Lumbosacral Trauma. Orthopaedic Knowledge Update Trauma, 3 ed., Baumgartner M, Tornetta P eds. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Rosemont IL. Chapter 29, pp 337 - 347, 2005.
Submitted on: 10/17/2014
Cervical Spine Research Society: Board or committee member
North American Spine Society: Board or committee member