Ronald Y. Kwon, Ph.D.
Ph.D. Stanford University -Mechanical Engineering (2008)
M.S. Stanford University - Mechanical Engineering (2005)
B.S. University of California Berkeley - Mechanical Engineering (2002)
My interests are in systems biology, mechanobiology, neuromuscular control of bone health, and bone regeneration. Please visit the Musculoskeletal Systems Biology Lab and my Research Blog for more information.
Phone: (206) 897-5600
Fax: (206) 897-5611
- Plenary Oral Presentation, European Zebrafish Meeting, 2013
- Plenary Poster and Oral Presentation, American Society for Bone and Mineral Research Annual Meeting, 2013
- Harold M. Frost Young Investigator Award, American Society for Bone and Mineral Research, 2013
- NIH National Research Service Award Postdoctoral Fellowship (2008-2010)
- American Society for Bone and Mineral Research Young Investigator Award (2010)
- Young Investigator Award, International Bone Fluid Flow Workshop (2010)
- Pfizer Inc. Endowed Scholarship to attend Zebrafish Genetics and Development Course, Marine Biological Laboratory (2010)
- Plenary Poster Presentation, 31st Annual American Society for Bone and Mineral Research Meeting (2009)
- 2nd Place, PhD Student Paper Competition, ASME Summer Bioengineering Conference (2008)
- Best PhD Student Presentation, Society for Physical Regulation in Biology and Medicine 25th Annual Scientific Conference, (2007)
- National Science Foundation Graduate Fellowship (2003-2006)
- 2nd Place, PhD Student Paper Competition (2006)
- Best PhD Student Presentation, Society for Physical Regulation in Biology and Medicine 23rd Annual Scientific Conference (2005)
Srinivasan S, Ausk BJ, Bain SD, Gardiner EM, Kwon RY, Gross TS. Rest intervals reduce the number of loading bouts required to enhance bone formation. Med Sci Sports Exerc, 2014 Sep 9. [Epub ahead of print]
Recidoro AM, Roof AC, Schmitt M, Worton LE, Petrie T, Strand N, Ausk BJ, Moon RT, Srinivasan S, Gardiner EM, Kaminsky W, Bain SD, Allan CH, Gross TS, Kwon RY. Botulinum toxin induces muscle paralysis and inhibits bone regeneration in zebrafish. J Bone Miner Res, 2014 Nov;29(11):2346-56. doi: 10.1002/jbmr.2274.
Worton LE, Kwon RY, Gardiner EM, Gross TS, Srinivasan S. Enhancement of flow-induced AP-1 gene expression by Cyclosporin A requires NFAT-independent signaling in bone cells. Cell Mol Bioeng, 2014 Jun 1;7(2):254-265.
Srinivasan S, Threet D, Worton LE, Ausk BJ, Bain SD, Gardiner EM, Kwon RY, Gross TS. Distinct Cyclosporin A doses are required to enhance bone formation induced by cyclic and rest-inserted loading in the senescent skeleton. PLoS ONE, 2014, 9(1): e84868.
Worton LE, Ausk BJ, Downey LM, Bain SD, Gardiner EM, Srinivasan S, Gross TS, Kwon RY. Systems-based identification of temporal processing pathways during bone cell mechanotransduction. PLoS ONE, 2013, 8(9): e74205.
Ausk BJ, Huber P, Srinivasan S, Bain SD, Kwon RY, McNamara E, Poliachik SL, Sybrowsky CL, Gross TS. Metaphyseal and diaphyseal bone loss in the tibia following transient muscle paralysis are spatiotemporally distinct resorption events. Bone, 2013, 57(2): 413–422.
Jacobs CR, Huang H, Kwon RY. Introduction to Cell Mechanics and Mechanobiology. Garland Science, 2012.
Sanyal A, Gupta A, Bayraktar HH, Kwon RY, Keaveny TM. Shear strength behavior of human trabecular bone. J Biomech, 2012, 45(15):2513–2519.
Kwon RY, Meays DR, Jones J, Meilan AS, Miramontes R, Kardos N, Yeh JC, and Frangos JA. Skeletal adaptation to intramedullary pressure-induced interstitial fluid flow in bone is enhanced in mice subjected to targeted osteocyte ablation. PLoS ONE, 2012, 7(3) e33336.
Kwon RY, Hoey D, Jacobs CR. Mechanobiology of primary cilia. In Cellular and Biomolecular Mechanics and Mechanobiology, A Gefen Ed., Springer, 2011, 99–124.
Kwon RY and Frangos JA. Quantification of lacunar-canalicular fluid flow through computational modeling of fluorescence recovery after photobleaching. Cell Mol Bioeng, 2010, 3(3) 296-306.
Kwon RY, Temiyasathit S, Tummala P, Quah CC, and Jacobs CR. Primary-cilium dependent mechanosensing is mediated by adenylyl cyclase 6 and cyclic AMP in bone cells. FASEB J, 2010, 24(8) 2859-2868.
Kwon RY, Meays DR, Tang WJ, and Frangos JA. Microfluidic enhancement of intramedullary pressure increases interstitial fluid flow and inhibits bone loss in hindlimb suspended mice. J Bone Miner Res, 2010, 25(8) 1798-1807.