Specialty: Hand & Upper Extremity
Medical School: University of British Columbia
Internship: University of British Columbia
Residency: University of British Columbia
Fellowship: University of Washington Department of Orthopaedics & Sports Medicine;
Pan Am Clinic at the University of Manitoba
Board Certification: Canada: Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Canada (FRCSC) 2011
U.S.A: Board Certified, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery 2015
UW Medicine Bio: http://www.uwmedicine.org/bios/stephen-kennedy
About Dr. Kennedy
Dr. Kennedy is a Hand and Upper Extremity Surgeon with subspecialty training in both Hand & Microvascular Surgery and Upper Extremity Sports Medicine and Reconstruction. He provides treatment options for problems of the entire upper extremity, including all forms of instability, trauma, deformity, and arthritis. He has a particular interest in problems of the wrist and elbow. Surgically, he performs open, arthroscopic, and microsurgical techniques for the entire upper extremity from finger tips to clavicle.
Patient Care Philosophy
Each person who comes into clinic has a different set of circumstances and goals. Giving the best care means listening, providing current and accurate information, and developing a plan together that best meets each person’s needs. When surgery is chosen, it should be undertaken with the greatest possible precision and care. Therapy and multidisciplinary providers are often pivotal to success.
Being outdoors in the Pacific Northwest. Spending time with family. Running, rowing, and swimming. Reading about new ideas in technology, design, economics, sociology, and psychology.
In the News
Treating Elbow and Wrist Conditions (Radio spot), UW Medicine Health, May 2014
- Canadian Orthopaedic Association
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons – Candidate membership
- American Society for Surgery of the Hand – Candidate membership
- American Association for Hand Surgery – Candidate membership
Nothing to disclose; Submitted on: 10/04/2014
Surgeries & Diagnosis
Scope Of Care
Bone, joint, and soft tissue problems of the hand and upper extremity; nerve entrapment; tendon problems; ligament injuries/instability; fractures; deformity; stiffness and contractures; arthritis; cartilage problems and repair; arthroscopic surgery; joint stabilization; arthroplasty or joint replacement; arthrodesis (fusion); tendon, nerve, and artery repair; replantation; microsurgery.
Common procedures include but are not limited to; carpal tunnel release (both open and endoscopic), trigger finger release, Dupuytren contracture release (with injection or surgery), wrist arthroscopy, wrist reconstruction procedures, elbow arthroscopy, ulnar collateral ligament reconstruction of the elbow ("Tommy John" procedure), contracture releases for stiff or arthritic elbows, fracture repairs, osteochondritis dissecans of the elbow, and joint replacements (arthroplasty) of upper extremity joints
Hand, wrist and elbow trauma; Elbow instability, stiffness, arthritis, or deformity; Arthroscopy of the wrist, elbow, and shoulder; Joint replacement (arthroplasty) of the hand, wrist and elbow
Hand, Wrist, and Elbow Surgery. Upper Extremity Sports Medicine. Elbow arthroscopic repair and reconstruction.Elbow joint replacement (elbow arthroplasty). Shoulder reconstruction in the context of brachial plexus problems or deformity.
- Kennedy, SA and Clark TA. Identification and Radiologic Interpretation of Carpal Injuries. Canadian Orthopaedic Association Bulletin. Spring 2013
- Kennedy, SA, and Hanel DP. Complex Distal Radius Fractures Orthopedic Clinics of North America 44 (3) (July 2013)
- Kennedy, SA, and Allan CH. Classifications In Brief - Mayfield et al Classification: Carpal Dislocations and Progressive Perilunar Instability. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research. 470(4) (April 2012): 1243-1245
- Kennedy, SA and Hanel DP. (2012) Hand and Proximal Replantation. In D Slutsky (Ed.), The Art of Microsurgical Hand Reconstruction: A Palette of Procedures (Chapter 53). Thieme Publishers
- White, T, Guy, P, CJ Cooke, SA Kennedy, KP Droll, PA Blachut and PJ O'Brien. The results of early primary open-reduction and internal fixation for treatment of AO C-type tibial pilon fractures. Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma. 24(12) (December 2010): 757-763
- Kennedy, SA and M Moran. Pharmacological treatment of osteoarthritis of the hip and knee. British Columbia Medical Journal. 52(8) (October 2010): 404-409
- Kennedy, SA, A-M Vranceanu, F Nunez and D Ring. Association between psychosocial factors and pain in patients with trigger finger. Journal of Hand and Microsurgery 2(1) (June 2010):18-23
- Kennedy, SA, GP Slobogean and K Mulpuri. 'Does degree of immobilization influence refracture rate in the forearm buckle fracture?'. Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics B. 19(1) (January 2010): 77-81
- Slobogean, GP, SA Kennedy, D Davidson and PJ O'Brien. 'Single- Versus Multiple-Dose Antibiotic Prophylaxis in the Surgical Treatment of Closed Fractures: A Meta-Analysis'. Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma. 22(4) (April 2008): 264-269.
- Kennedy, SA, RA Irvine, BD Westerberg and H Zhang. 'Meta-analysis: prophylactic drainage and bleeding complications in thyroid surgery'. Journal of Otolaryngology. 37(6) (December 2008): 768 - 773.
- Macadam, SA, S Kennedy, D Lalonde, A Anzarut, HM Clarke and EE Brown. 'The Canadian plastic surgery workforce survey: interpretation and implications'. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 119(7) (June 2007): 2299 -2306.
Conference Proceedings and Posters:
- Ko JH, AJ Watt, SA Kennedy, L Krenek, and JB Friedrich. ‘Differences in Volar Plating Systems for Distal Radius Fractures: A Report on the Perceptions of Industry Representatives.’ Electronic Poster Presentation. American Association for Hand Surgery Annual Meeting. Naples, Florida. January 2013
- Kennedy, SA, AM Vranceanu and D Ring. 'Determinants of Self-Reported Pain in Trigger Finger'. Poster Presentation. Canadian Orthopaedic Association Meeting. Edmonton, Canada. June, 2009.
- Kennedy, SA, RA Irvine, BD Westerberg and H Zhang. 'Meta-Analysis: Prophylactic use of postoperative drains in thyroid surgery'. Annual Meeting of Canadian Society of Otolaryngolgy Head & Neck Surgery. Kelowna, Canada. 2006.
- Macadam, S, SA Kennedy and EE Brown. 'The Canadian Plastic Surgery Workforce Survey: Implications for the future of Canadian Plastic Surgery'. Canadian Society of Plastic Surgeons Meeting. Nanaimo, Canada. 2005.
- Pereira, G, M Henry, SA Kennedy, PJ O'Brien, P Blachut, H Broekhuyse, P Guy and RN Meek. 'Risk factors for compartment syndrome in Tibial shaft fractures – a review of more than 1800 fractures'. British Trauma Society Annual Scientific Meeting. Athens, Greece. Oct, 2005.
Clinical outcomes in hand and upper extremity trauma. Advances in joint reconstruction surgery, particularly of the wrist and elbow. Technology for the improvement of patient care. Advances in methods in surgical education. Arthroscopic and minimally invasive surgical techniques.
Make an Appointment
Bone & Joint Surgery Center at UWMC
UW Medical Center-Roosevelt II
4245 Roosevelt Way N.E.
Seattle, WA 98105
Hip and Knee Center at Northwest Primary and Specialty Care North Seattle
11011 Meridian Ave. N., Suite 210
Seattle, WA 98133
For directions see: http://www.nwhospital.org/aboutus/mapsanddirections.asp