Director, UW Orthopaedics Spine Fellowship Program
Director of Orthopaedics Spine Quality Improvement
College: Westmont College
Medical School: Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
Internship: University of Washington affiliated hospitals
Residency: University of Washington affiliated Hospitals
Fellowship: Westmead Children's Hospital
Board Certification: Board Certified
UW Medicine Bio: http://www.uwmedicine.org/bios/richard-bransford
About Dr. Bransford
Dr. Rick Bransford is a graduate of Vanderbilt University School of Medicine in Nashville, Tennessee. Following his orthopedic training at University of Washington, he completed a Spine Fellowship at University of Washington and a Pediatric Fellowship at Westmead Children’s Hospital in Sydney, Australia. Dr. Richard J. Bransford is Professor in the Department of Orthopaedics and Adjunct Professor in the Department of Neurological Surgery at the University of Washington School of Medicine in Seattle.
Dr. Bransford has research interests including both clinical care and basic sciences.
Patient Care Philosophy
- Treat every patient as if they were a family member.
- Take time to talk to people. Sometimes the best thing you can do is just explain what is going on.
- Featured article for Spine blog --- "Posterior C2 Instrumentation: Accuracy and Complications Associated with Four Techniques.", June 2011
- University of Washington Orthopaedic Residents’ Teaching Award 2009-2010, June 2010
- Whitecloud Award Nominee, International Meeting on Advanced Spinal Techniques (IMAST), July 2009
- Harborview CARES for Service Excellence Awards, Spring Quarter 2009
- Service Excellence Award, University of Washington Medical Center, May 2005
- "Robert N. Hensinger Basic Science Paper Award", Pediatric Orthopaedic Society of North America (POSNA), May 2005
- Phi Kappa Phi Academic Honor Society
- Omicron Delta Kappa Leadership Society
- MAP-RD International Fellowship, Mission Hospital (Indonesia), 1995
- Pennsylvania Medical Missionary Fellowship
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery (AAOS)
- American Orthopaedic Association (AOA)
- Orthopaedic Trauma Association (OTA)
- AO/ASIF North America Spine Faculty
- AO North America
- Washington State Orthopaedic Association
- Washington State Medical Association
- Western Orthopaedic Association
- American Medical Association
- Cervical radiculopathy
- Cervical myelopathy
- Cervical stenosis
- Thoracic myelopathy
- Spinal infections
- Spinal tumors
- Lumbar stenosis
- Lumbar radiculopathy
- Degenerative disc disease
- Adult spinal deformity
- Spinal trauma
Scientific Publications (PubMed Listing)
Merit Reviewed Scientific Papers
- Vilela MD, Kim LJ, Bellabarba C, Bransford RJ. “Blunt Cerebrovascular Injuries in Association with Craniocervical Distraction Injuries.” The Spine Journal. Spine J. 2015 Mar 1;15(3):499-505. (E-pub ahead of print October 15, 2014).
- Bransford RJ, Alton TB, Patel A, Bellabarba C. “Upper Cervical Spine Trauma.” Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (JAAOS), 2014 Nov;22(11):718-729.
- Manoso MW, Cizik AM, Bransford RJ, Bellabarba C, Lee MJ, “Medicaid Status is Associated with Higher Surgical Site Infection Rates after Spine Surgery.” Spine. 2014 Sep 15;39(20):1707-13.(E-pub ahead of print June 30, 2014).
- Alton TB, Patel A, Bransford RJ, Bellabarba C, Lee MJ,. “Is there is a difference in neurological outcome in Medical versus Early Operative Management of Cervical Epidural Abscesses?" The Spine Journal, 2015 Jan 1;15(1):10-17. (Epub ahead of print June 10, 2014).
- Moore TA, Bransford RJ, France JC, Anderson J, Steinmetz MP, Lubelski D, Anderson PA. “Low Lumbar Fractures: Does TLICS Work?” Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2014 Aug 1;39(17):E1021-25.
- Patel AR, Alton TB, Bransford RJ, Bellabarba CB, Lee MJ, “Spinal Epidural Abscesses: Risk Factors, Medical vs Surgical Management - A Retrospective Review of 128 Cases.” The Spine Journal, 2014 Feb 1;14(2):326-30 (Epub ahead of print November 11, 2013.)
- Luszczyk M, Blaisdell G, Wiater B, Bellabarba C, Agel J, Bransford RJ. “Traumatic Dural Tears: Are They a Problem?” The Spine Journal, Jan 1, 2014; 14(1): 49-56. (Epub ahead of print May 10, 2013).
- Maddox JM, Agel J, Pruitt DR, Bransford RJ. “Is there a Difference in Complication Rate between Staged and Un-staged Posteriorly Managed Deformity Cases?” The Spine Journal, 2013 Oct 29. pii: S1529-9430(13)01447-2 (Epub ahead of print 10/29/13).
- Traynelis VC, Arnold PM, Fourney DR, Bransford RJ, Fischer DJ, Skelly AC. “Alternative Procedures for the Treatment of Cervical Spondylotic Myelopathy: Arthroplasty, Oblique Corpectomy, Skip Laminectomy.” Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2013 Oct 15; 38 (22 Suppl 1):S210-31.
- Rhee JM, Shamji MF, Erwin MW, Bransford RJ, Yoon T, Smith JS, Kim HJ, Ely CG, Dettori JR, Patel AA, Kalsi-Ryan S. “Nonoperative Management of Cervical Myelopathy: A Systematic Review.” Spine, (Phila Pa 1976). 2013 Oct 15; 38 (22 Suppl 1):S55-67.
- Mincer SL, Adeogba S, Bransford RJ, Chandanabhumma P, Lam MS, Lee MJ, Posner KL, Robins LS, Domino KB. “Shared Decision-making (SDM) Toolkit: Train-The-Trainer Tools for Teaching SDM in the Classroom and Clinic.” MedEdPortal Publications (www.mededportal.org/publication/9413), Accepted 5/10/13.
- Hacquebord J, Cizik AM, Malempati SH, Konodi MA, Bransford RJ, Bellabarba C, Lee MJ. “Medicaid Status is Associated with Higher Complication Rates after Spine Surgery” Spine 2013. (Phila Pa 1976), 2013 Jul 15;38(16):1393-400. (Epub ahead of print April 15, 2013)
- Lee MJ, Konodi MA, Cizik AM, Weinreich MA, Bransford RJ, Bellabarba C, “Risk Factors for Medical Complications after Cervical Spine Surgery: A Multivariate Analysis of 582 Patients.” Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2013 Feb 1;38(3):223-8.(Epub ahead of print2012 Jul 14).
- Bransford RJ, Dekutoski, M. “Does MIS in Thoracolumbar Fracture Care Really Improve Outcome?” Der Unfallchirurg. 2012 December; 115:1061–1065.
- Jacobs WB, Bransford RJ, Bellabarba C, "Outcomes and Complications in the Operative Management of Charcot Spinal Arthropathy." Journal of Neurosurgery – Spine, 2012 Nov;17(5):422-31. [Aug 31, 2012 E-Pub ahead of print]
- Bransford RJ, VanAlstyne EM, Skelly AC. “What do we currently know about thoracic spinal cord injury recovery and outcomes? A systematic review.” Journal of Neurosurgery Spine; 2012 Sept; 17(1):52-64.
- Bransford RJ, Koller H, Caron T, Zenner J, Hitzl W, Tomasino A, Mayer M. “Cervical Spine Trauma in DISH patients – Injury Characteristics and Outcome with Surgical Treatment.” Spine, 2012 Nov 1; 37(23):1923-32. [Epub ahead of print April 24, 2012].
- Lee MJ, Konodi MA, Cizik AM, Bransford RJ, Bellabarba C, “Risk Factors for Medical Complication after Spine Surgery: a multivariate analysis of 1,591 patients.” The Spine Journal, 2012 Mar;12(3):197-206 (Epub 1/14/2012).
- Bransford RJ, Freeborn MA, Russo AJ, Nguyen QT, Lee MJ, Bellabarba C. “Accuracy & Complications Associated with Posterior C1 Screw Fixation Techniques: A Radiographic and Clinical Assessment” The Spine Journal. 2012 Mar; 12(3):231-8. (Epub 3/2/12).
- Baker GA, Cizik AM, Bransford RJ, Bellabarba C, Konodi MA, Lee MJ. “Risk factors for unintended durotomy during spine surgery: a multivariate analysis.” The Spine Journal, 2012 Feb; 12(2):121-6. (Epub 2/18/2012).
- Cizik AM, Lee MJ, Martin BI, Bransford RJ, Bellabarba C, Mirza SK. “Using the Spine Surgical Invasiveness Index to Identify Risk of Surgical Site Infection: A Multivariate Analysis” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery (Am), Feb 15, 2012; 94(4):335-42.
- Agel JA, Bransford RJ. “Is There Value in Routine Administration of Outcome Questionnaires?” Evidence Based Spine Care Journal. Feb 2012; 3(1): 13-17.
- Reinhold M, Bellabarba C, Bransford RJ, Krengel W, Lee MJ, Wagner T. “Radiographic analysis of type II odontoid fractures in a geriatric patient population. Description and pathomechanism of the “Geier” deformity.” European Spine Journal. Nov 2011; 20(11):1928-39.
- Lee MJ, Hacquebord J, Varshney A, Cizik AM, Bransford RJ, Bellabarba C, Konodi MA, “Risk Factors for Medical Complications after Lumbar Spine Surgery: A Multivariate Analysis of 767 patients.” Spine, Oct 1, 2011: 36(21):1801-6.
- Norvell DC, Hermsmeyer JT, Bransford RJ, Devine J, McGirt MJ, Lee MJ. “Evaluating Common Outcomes for Measuring Treatment Success for Chronic LBP.” Spine, October 1, 2011, 36(21S): S54-S68.
- Elgafy H, Bransford RJ, "Epidural Hematoma Associated with Occult Fracture in Ankylosing Spondylitis Patient: A Case Report and Review of the Literature". Journal of Spinal Disorders and Techniques, October 2011: 24(7):469-473.
- Vilela MD, Bransford RJ, Bellabarba C, Ellenbogen RG. “C1 Horizontal Fractures in Association with Craniocervical Dissociation.” Journal of Neurosurgery: Spine, August 2011: 15(2):182-6. (E-pub ahead of print April 29, 2011).
- Howe C, Lee MJ, Agel J, Bransford RJ, Wagner T, Bellabarba C, "The Morbidity and Mortality of Fusions from the Thoracic Spine to the Pelvis in the Adult Population." Spine August 1, 201136(7) 1397-1401. (E-pub ahead of print January 10, 2011).
- Bransford RJ, Russo AJ, Freeborn MA, Nguyen QT, Lee MJ, Bellabarba C. "Posterior C2 Instrumentation: Accuracy and Complications Associated with Four Techniques." Spine, June 2011; 36(14) E936-943. (E-pub ahead of print Feb 1, 2011.)
- Bransford RJ, Bellabarba C. "Primary Internal Fixation of Unilateral C1 Lateral Mass Sagittal Split Fractures: A Series of Three Cases". Journal of Spinal Disorders and Techniques. May 2011; 24(3):157-63. (E-pub ahead of print July 14, 2010).
- Hossein Elgafy, Richard Bransford, H Semaan, Ted Wagner. "Clinical and Radiographic Evaluation of Sagittal Imbalance: A New Radiographic Assessment." The American Journal of Orthopaedics. March 2011; Vol. 40(3): E30-E34.
- Richard J Bransford, Michael J Lee, Abilio Reis. "Contemporary Posterior Fixation Techniques for the Upper Cervical Spine." Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. February 2011; 19(2): 63-71.
- Stone AT, Bransford RJ, Lee MJ, Vilela MD, Bellabarba C, Anderson PA, MD, Agel J. “Reliability of Classification Systems for Subaxial Cervical Injuries.” Evidence-Based Spine-Care Journal. December 2010; 1(3):19-26.
- Lee MJ, Wiater B, Bransford RJ, Bellabarba C, "Lordosis Restoration after Smith Petersen Osteotomies and Interbody Strut Placement: A Radiographic Study in Cadavers." Spine, Dec 1, 2010; 35(25):E1487-91.
- Kraemer P, Lee MB, Englehardt H, Bransford RJ. "Infectious Pin Complication Rates in Halo Vest Fixators Utilizing Ceramic versus Metallic Pins." Journal of Spinal Disorders and Techniques. December 2010; 23(8):E59-62.
- Lee MJ, Lindsey JD, Bransford RJ. "Pedicle Screw Based Posterior Dynamic Stabilization in the Lumbar Spine." Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. October 2010; 18(10): 581-588.
- Lee MJ, Bransford RJ, Bellabarba C, Cohen AM, Harrington RM, Ching RP. "The Effect of Bilateral Laminotomy vs. Laminectomy on the Motion and Stiffness of the Human Lumbar Spine: A Biomechanical Comparison". Spine, September 1, 2010; 35(19):1789-1793.
- Guyot JP, Cizik A, Bransford RJ, Bellabarba C, Lee MJ. “Risk Factors for Cardiac Complications after Spine Surgery: A Multivariate Analysis." Evidence-Based Spine-Care Journal. August 2010; 1(2):19-26.
- Imposti F, Cizik A, Bransford RJ, Bellabarba C, Lee MJ. Risk Factors for Pulmonary Complications after Spine Surgery: A Multivariate Analysis. Evidence-Based Spine-Care Journal. August 2010; 1(2):27-34.
- Caron T, Bransford RJ, Nguyen QT, Agel J, Bellabarba C. "Spine Fractures in Patients with Ankylosing Spinal Disorders". Spine, May 15, 2010; 35(11):E458-E464.
- Bransford RJ, Zhang F, Bellabarba C, Lee MJ. "Treating Thoracic Disc Herniations: Do We Always Have to Go Anteriorly?" Evidence-Based Spine-Care Journal. May 2010; 1(1):21-28.
- Elgafy H, Bransford RJ, McGuire R, Dettori J, Fischer D. "Blood Loss in Major Spine Surgery: Are There Effective Measures to Decrease Massive Hemorrhage in Major Spine Fusion Surgery?" Spine, April 20, 2010; 35(9):S47-S56.
- Bransford R, Zhang F, Konodi M, Bellabarba C, "Experience with Treatment of Thoracic Disc Herniation Using a Modified Transfacet Pedicle-Sparing Decompression and Segmental Fusion". Journal of Neurosurgery: Spine, Feb 2010; 12:221-231.
- Bransford RJ, Stevens DW, Uyeji S, Bellabarba C, "Halo Vest Treatment of Cervical Spine Injuries: A Success and Survivorship Analysis". Spine, July 1, 2009, 34(15):1561-1566.
- Bransford RJ, Falicov A, Nguyen QT, "The C1 Lateral Mass Sagittal Split Fracture: An Unstable Jefferson Fracture Variant". Journal of Neurosurgery: Spine. May 2009, 10(5):466-473.
- Ryan J Jense MD, Christopher R Howe MD, Richard J Bransford MD, Theodore A Wagner MD, Peter J. Dunbar MB ChB. "University of Washington Orthopaedic Resident Experience and Interest in Developing an International Humanitarian Rotation". The American Journal of Orthopaedics. January 2009; Vol. 38(1):E18-20.
- Bransford RJ, Chansky HA. "Trochanteric Cable Migration through the Perineum: A Case Report". European Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery and Traumatology. January 2009; 19(1):39-41.
- Russo A, Bransford RJ, Wagner T, Lee MJ, "Adult Degenerative Scoliosis Insights, Challenges, and Treatment Outlook". Current Orthopaedic Practice. August 2008; 19(4):357-365.
- Bransford RJ. "Geriatric Spine Fractures: An Emerging Healthcare Crisis". The Journal of Trauma Injury, Infection, and Critical Care. June 2007; 62(6):S61-62.
- Bransford RJ, Goergens E, Briody J, Amanat N, Cree A, Little D. "Effect of Zoledronic Acid in an L6-L7 Rabbit Spine Fusion Model". European Spine Journal, April 2007; 16(4): 557-62.
- Bransford RJ, Bellabarba C, Thompson JH, Henley MB, Mirza SK, "The Safety of Flouroscopically-Assisted Thoracic Pedicle Screw Instrumentation for Spine Trauma". Journal of Trauma, May 2006; 60(5):1047-52.
- Little DG, McDonald MM, Bransford RJ, Godfrey CB, Amanat N. "Manipulation of the Anabolic and Catabolic Responses with OP-1 and Zoledronic Acid in a Rat Critical Defect Model." Journal of Bone Mineral Research. Nov 2005; 20(11):2044-52.
Non-Merit Reviewed Scientific Papers
- RJ Bransford. Commentary for "Fatal isolated cervical spine injury in a patient with ankylosing spondylitis: A case report." Evidence-Based Spine-Care Journal. January 2015.
- Myles Luszczyk DO, Gregory Blaisdell MD, Brett Wiater MD, Carlo Bellabarba MD, Julie Agel, MA, Richard Bransford MD “Traumatic Dural Tears: What do we know and are they are a Problem?” 2012 University of Washington Orthopaedic Research Report.
- Richard Bransford. “Orthopaedic Care in an Area of Civil Unrest: The Somaliland Experience.” 2012 University of Washington Orthopaedic Research Report.
- Abilio A. Reis, Richard J. Bransford, Tom Penoyar, Carlo Bellabarba, “Diagnosis and treatment of craniocervical dissociation in 48 consecutive survivors.” 2010 University of Washington Orthopaedic Research Report.
- Richard J Bransford, Michael J Lee. "Contemporary Fixation Techniques in Posterior Cervical Spine Surgery: Part II". Contemporary Spine Surgery, August 2009; 10(8):1-6.
- Richard J Bransford, Michael J Lee. "Contemporary Fixation Techniques in Posterior Cervical Spine Surgery I". Contemporary Spine Surgery, July 2009; 10(7):1-6.
- Bransford RJ, Bellabarba C, "Halo Vest Immobilization Revisited: Allowing the Severely Injured Neck to Regenerate Stability Without Surgery". 2009 University of Washington Orthopaedic Research Report.
- Michael J. Lee, Richard J Bransford. "Spinal Manifestations of Rheumatoid Arthritis". Contemporary Spine Surgery. November 2008; 9(11):1-8.
- Bransford RJ, Goergens E, Little D, Bugler R, Briody J. "Zoledronic Acid Results in Increased Bone Volume in a Rabbit Spine Fusion Model". 2004 University of Washington Orthopaedic Research Report.
- Mirza SK, Ananthakrishnan D, Bellabarba C, Bower JO, Bransford RJ, Dailey AT, Deyo RA, Goodkin R, Heagery P, Jarosz TJ, Konodi M, Lee LA, Turner JA. "Surveillance of Adverse Occurrences in Spine Surgery: Evaluation of Data Quality in the First Year of Implementation". 2004 University of Washington Orthopaedic Research Report.
- Bransford RJ. "Fractures in the Elderly: Prevention and Management". The Resident Reporter. July 2000; vol 5(6).
- C. Bellabarba, RJ Bransford, J Shatsky. “Injuries to the Cervicocranium” Surgical Treatment of Orthopaedic Trauma, 2nd Edition, Edited by James P. Stannard, Andrew H. Schmidt and Philip J. Kregor. Thieme Medical Publishers, NY, NY, Inc. 2015.
- C. Bellabarba, RJ Bransford. “Sacral Fractures.” ISCoS Textbook for Comprehensive Management of Spinal Cord Injuries. Edited by H S Chhabra.
- RJ Bransford, A Anissipour, C Bellabarba. “Transpedicular and Costotranversectomy Approaches for Trauma—Indications and Techniques” Spinal Trauma-Pitfalls on Thoracolumbar Trauma. Volume 6: Part 2, Edited by F. Kandziora and C Bellabarba. Thieme Medical Publishers, NY, NY, 2015.
- Child, Z, RJ Bransford,. “Fractures in Ankylosing Conditions” Spinal Trauma-Pitfalls on Thoracolumbar Trauma. Volume 6: Part 2, Edited by F. Kandziora and C Bellabarba. Thieme Medical Publishers, NY, NY, 2015.
- RJ Bransford, A Anissipour, C Bellabarba. “Classification and Management of Sacral Fractures” Benzel’s Spine Surgery 4th Edition. Edited by E Benzel, C Kuntz, and M Steinmetz. Elsevier, Philadelphia, PA, 2015.
- Shatsky J, Bransford RJ, Bellabarba C. “Cervical Spine Trauma.” Spine Surgery: Current Concepts and Evidence. Wang and Mroz (eds), McGraw-Hill. 2015
- Bellabarba C, Bransford RJ. “Sacral Fractures.” Spine Surgery: Current Concepts and Evidence. Wang and Mroz (eds), McGraw-Hill. 2015.
- Bellabarba C, Bransford RJ. “Injuries to the Cervicocranium.” Surgical Treatment of Orthopaedic Trauma, 2nd ed. Stannard JP, Schmidt AH and Kregor PJ (eds.), Thieme, New York, NY. 2015.
- Carlo Bellabarba, MD, Emiliano Vialle, MD, Richard J Bransford, MD. “Spino-pelvic fixation strategies in the setting of lumbar degenerative scoliosis” Adult Degenerative Scoliosis – Coronal and Sagittal Deformities Treatment and Management. Edited by James Harrop, Alex Vaccaro and Ahmed Awad. Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers, 2014
- Carlo Bellabarba, Marcel Winkelmann, Sebastian Decker, Richard J Bransford “Pelvic Ring Injuries” Skeletal Trauma, 5th Edition, Edited by Bruce Browner and Jesse Jupiter, Elsevier, Philadelphia, PA ,2014.
- RJ Bransford, M Manoso, C Bellabarba, “Occipital-Cervical Spine Injuries” Skeletal Trauma, 5th Edition, Edited by Bruce Browner and Jesse Jupiter, Elsevier, Philadelphia, PA, 2014.
- Shawn L. Mincer, Michael J. Lee, Richard J. Bransford, Saint Adeogba, Karen L. Posner, Lynne S. Robins, Pornsak Chandanabhumma, Michelle S. Lam, Karen B. Domino. “Adopting and Implementing Shared Decision-Making: Barriers and Solution.” AHRQ Advances in Patient Safety and Medical Liability. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ). 2013.
- Carlo Bellabarba, Richard Bransford, “Occipitocervical and Upper Cervical Spine Fractures.” The Cervical Spine. Edited by Francis Shen, MD; Dino Samartzis, DsC, PhD; and Richard G. Fessler, MD. Elsevier, Philadelphia, PA, 2014.
- Joshua Patt, Richard J. Bransford. “Odontoid Fractures.” The Cervical Spine, 5th Edition. Edited by Edward C. Benzel. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, August 2012.
- Richard J. Bransford, Quynh T. Nguyen. “Radiographic Measurements in Spine Trauma.” The AO Spine Manual of Spine Severity Measures and Instruments. Edited by JR Dettori, DC Norvell. Thieme, 2011.
- Richard J. Bransford. "Upper Cervical Spine Trauma." Spine Secrets Plus. Edited by Vincent Devlin. Hanley and Belfus Publications, June 2011.
- Richard J. Bransford. "Cervical Spine Trauma". Review of Orthopaedic Trauma. Edited by Mark Brinker. W B Saunders, March 2013.
- Richard J. Bransford. "Emergency Management of the Traumatized Cervical Spine". Oxford Textbook of Orthopedics and Trauma. Edited by Christopher Bulstrode, Joseph Buckwater, Andrew Carr, Larry Marsh, Jeremy Fairbank, James Wilson-MacDonald, and Gavin Bowden. Oxford University Press, Oxford, 2011.
- Richard J. Bransford. "Cervical Spine Trauma". Orthopaedic Knowledge Update 10. AAOS Publications, February 2011.
- I Madrazo MD MSc DSc FACS, C Zamorano MD, RJ Bransford MD, "Cranio-Cervical Disruption: Injuries of the Occiput-C1-C2 Region". Spine and Spinal Cord Trauma: Evidence-Based Management. Edited by Vaccarro, Fehlings, Dvorak. Thieme, December 2010.
- JC Le Huec, R Bransford, R Morgan, R Meyrati, S AuNoble. "Distraction Injuries and Ankylosing Spondylitis in Cervical Trauma". Spine and Spinal Cord Trauma: Evidence-Based Management. Edited by Vaccarro, Fehlings, Dvorak. Thieme, December 2010.
- Carlo Bellabarba MD, Richard J Bransford MD, "Posterolateral Approaches for Thoracic Discectomy". Advanced Reconstruction Spine. AAOS/NASS, November 2010.
- Richard J. Bransford, Carlo Bellabarba. "Orthopaedic Trauma". Greenfield's Surgery: Scientific Principles & Practice, 5th Edition. Edited by Michael W. Mulholland, Keith D. Lillemore, Gerard M. Doherty, Ronald V. Maier, Gilbert R., Jr. Upchurch. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, PA, October 2010.
- Richard J. Bransford. Robert Morgan. "Thoracolumbar Fractures". Orthopaedic Knowledge Update - Trauma 4. AAOS Publications, August, 2010.
- Kraemer P, Bransford R, "Failure of Cervical Spine Instrumentation". Arthritis & Arthroplasty: The Spine. Edited by Dr. Frances H. Shen MD and Christopher I. Shaffrey MD. Saunders Elsevier, November 2009.
- Carlo Bellabarba, Richard J Bransford. "Upper Cervical Spine Trauma Classification System." Spine Classifications and Severity Measures. Edited by JR Dettori, DC Norvell. Thieme, March 2009.
- Bransford R, Bellabarba C, "Craniocervical Trauma". Cervical Spine Surgery Challenges: Diagnosis and Management. Edited by T. Albert, J. Lee and M. Lim. Thieme 2008.
Spine Summit in Seattle 2012
The Role of Fusion: Where Do We Stand?
- The effects of bisphosphonates on fusions and fracture healing
- The interaction of bone morphogenic proteins and bisphosphonates on fusions and fractures
- Complications in spine surgery