Associate Professor (adjunct to Orthopaedics)
Specialty: Hand & Wrist
Medical School: University of Texas Health Science Center, 2000
Internship: University of Washington - Dept. of Surgery
Residency: University of Washington - Dept. of Surgery
University of Washington - Dept. of Plastic Surgery
Fellowship: Mayo Clinic
Board Certification: American Board of Plastic Surgery, Hand Surgery, 2009
American Board of Plastic Surgery, Plastic Surgery, 2008
About Dr. Friedrich
Dr. Friedrich is an Associate Professor in the Plastic Surgery Division at the University of Washington. He is an adjunct associate professor of in the Department of Orthopaedics & Sports Medicine. He practices at Harborview Medical Center and at Seattle Children's Hospital.
At HMC, he focuses on hand and wrist surgery and lower extremity reconstruction. He works actively with orthopedists to help provide comprehensive care in these areas. He also collaborates with urologists to provide urologic reconstruction.
He is one of two physicians at Seattle Children's who care for all of the hand and wrist problems at that facility, which includes all aspects of congenital hand differences and pediatric hand trauma. He also provides care for adults and children with brachial plexus injuries both at HMC and Seattle Children's.
Patient Care Philosophy
I truly believe that the relationship between patient and surgeon is one in which we are equal participants. I always try to present all of the viable options to patients and help them decide which is best, rather than telling them which treatment option I will perform. I take this approach not just at the initial consultation, but throughout the treatment course.
Many problems that I treat require significant rehabilitation after treatment. While this certainly involves a commitment on the patient's part, I will be my patient's steadfast partner throughout the entirety of the treatment course, no matter the duration.
He spends as much time as possible with his wife and two children. Cycling is a passion, and he also enjoys nonfiction reading, snorkeling and scuba, and the occasional round of golf.
Adult and pediatric hand and wrist surgery; lower extremity reconstruction; brachial plexus surgery; microsurgery; and urologic reconstruction.
He is actively involved in teaching different groups of students and trainees, both in the clinical and didactic settings. He has teaching responsibilities with the UW hand surgery fellowship; the plastic, general, and orthopedic surgery residencies; and the School of Medicine. He thoroughly enjoys all of them.
Hand and Wrist Surgery, Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
Hand Clinic at Harborview
Ninth & Jefferson Building
6th Floor, Ninth & Jefferson Building
908 Jefferson St.
Seattle, WA 98104
Burn and Plastic Surgery Clinics at Harborview
Harborview Medical Center
8th Floor, East Hospital
325 Ninth Ave.
Seattle, WA 98104
- 2014 Top Doctors, Seattle Metropolitan Magazine, August 2014
- 2014 Top Doctors, Seattle Magazine, June 2014
- University of Washington Division of Plastic Surgery Resident Teaching Award, 2009
- American Medical Association Physician Recognition Award, 2008
- Mayo Clinic Department of Orthopedics Alice D. Jensen Fellow, 2007
- Nelson AK, Wessells H, Friedrich JB Review of microsurgical posterior urethral reconstruction. Journal of reconstructive microsurgery 2011 Mar; 27; 3; 179-86
- Friedrich JB, Katolik LI, Hanel DP Reconstruction of soft-tissue injury associated with lower extremity fracture. The Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons 2011 Feb; 19; 2; 81-90
- Suver DW, Friedrich JB Sentinel lymph node biopsy for tumors of the hand and wrist. The Journal of hand surgery 2010 Jul; 35; 7; 1209-10
- Imahara SD, Friedrich JB Community-acquired methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in surgically treated hand infections. The Journal of hand surgery 2010 Jan; 35; 1; 97-103
- Friedrich JB, Vedder NB An evidence-based approach to metacarpal fractures. Plastic and reconstructive surgery 2010 Dec; 126; 6; 2205-9
- Friedrich JB, Katolik LI, Vedder NB Soft tissue reconstruction of the hand. The Journal of hand surgery 2009 Jul-Aug ; 34; 6; 1148-55
- Sunderland IR, Friedrich JB Predictors of mortality and limb loss in necrotizing soft tissue infections of the upper extremity. The Journal of hand surgery 2009 Dec; 34; 10; 1900-1
- Friedrich JB, Moran SL, Bishop AT, Shin AY Free vascularized fibula grafts for salvage of failed oncologic long bone reconstruction and pathologic fractures. Microsurgery 2009 ; 29; 5; 385-92
- Friedrich JB, Moran SL, Bishop AT, Wood CM, Shin AY Free vascularized fibular graft salvage of complications of long-bone allograft after tumor reconstruction. The Journal of bone and joint surgery. American volume 2008 Jan; 90; 1; 93-100
- Friedrich JB, Moran SL, Bishop AT, Wood CM, Shin AY Vascularized fibula flap onlay for salvage of pathologic fracture of the long bones. Plastic and reconstructive surgery 2008 Jun; 121; 6; 2001-9
- Friedrich JB, Shin AY Management of forearm compartment syndrome. Hand clinics 2007 May; 23; 2; 245-54, vii
- Friedrich JB, Muzaffar AR, Hanel DP Pediatric hand friction burns from treadmill contact. Hand (New York, N.Y.) 2007 Dec; 2; 4; 188-93
- Friedrich JB, Hanel DP, Chilcote H, Katolik LI The use of tensor fascia lata interposition grafts for the treatment of posttraumatic radioulnar synostosis. The Journal of hand surgery 2006 May-Jun ; 31; 5; 785-93
- Muzaffar AR, Friedrich JB, Lu KK, Hanel DP Infantile fibrosarcoma of the hand associated with coagulopathy. Plastic and reconstructive surgery 2006 Apr; 117; 5; 81e-86e
- Muzaffar AR, Chao JJ, Friedrich JB, Freidrich JB Posttraumatic thumb reconstruction. Plastic and reconstructive surgery 2005 Oct; 116; 5; 103e-122e
Clinical outcomes and resource allocation in hand and wrist surgery; lower extremity reconstruction outcomes; urologic reconstruction outcomes; and quality improvement initiatives.
Submitted on: 2/15/2013 9:09:10 AM
|Item 1.||Royalties from a company or supplier
|Item 2.||Speakers bureau/paid presentations for a company or supplier
|Item 3A.||Paid employee for a company or supplier
|Item 3B.||Paid consultant for a company or supplier
|Item 3C.||Unpaid consultant for a company or supplier
|Item 4.||Stock or stock options in a company or supplier
|Item 5.||Research support from a company or supplier as a PI
|Item 6.||Other financial or material support from a company or supplier
|Item 7.||Royalties, financial or material support from publishers
|Item 8.||Medical/Orthopaedic publications editorial/governing board
|Item 9.||Board member/committee appointments for a society
The following conflicts were disclosed