Program Director, Traumatology Fellowship
College: University of Western Ontario, London, Canada
Medical School: University of Ottawa
Internship: St. Joseph's Health Centre, University of Toronto
Residency: Ottawa Hospital, University of Ottawa
Fellowship: Orthopedic Traumatology, HMC
Board Certification: Board Certified
UW Medicine Bio: http://www.uwmedicine.org/bios/david-barei
About Dr. Barei
Dr. Barei, UW professor of orthopedics and sports medicine, specializes in treating complex injuries caused by trauma. Dr. Barei graduated from the University of Western Ontario in London and earned his medical degree at the University of Ottawa. After an internship in Toronto, he returned to Ottawa for his residency in orthopedics. He came to Seattle for a fellowship in orthopedic traumatology at Harborview Medical Center and joined the University of Washington faculty after completing it.
He is board certified in orthopedics and is a fellow of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada.
- Named one of the Best 19 Orthopedic Traumatologists in North America
- Selected by a survey of thought leaders in the field of orthopaedic traumatology.
- Orthopedics This Week. 2015 Feb;11(5).
- Seattle Met 2014 “Top Doctors”
- Selected by regional colleagues as one of the Best Physicians in the Puget Sound region, in Seattle Metropolitan Magazine 2014.
- Seattle Met 2013 “Top Doctors”
- Selected by regional colleagues as one of the Best Physicians in the Puget Sound region, in Seattle Metropolitan Magazine 2013.
- Named one of the Top 29 Orthopedic Traumatologists in the U.S.
- Selected by a survey of thought leaders in the field of orthopaedic traumatology.
- Orthopedics This Week. 2012 Oct;8(33):4-7.
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) Achievement Award March 2013
- In recognition of active volunteer involvement by Academy members in the areas of teaching, publications/research, and service/advocacy.
- Winquist Cup Award October 17, 2008 (Denver, Colorado) Upper Extremity Case-Based Discussion Panel: Ring DC, McKee MD, Barei DP Court-Brown CM, Collinge CA, Cole PA.
- OTA's 2008 Comprehensive Resident Fracture Course highest-rated session
- Teacher of the Year Award University of Washington, Department of Orthopaedics & Sports Medicine Residency Program 2007-2008
- Howard Rosen Outstanding Table Instructor Award AO/ASIF Advanced Principles and Techniques of Operative Fracture Management (Toronto, Canada) November 16-19, 2006
- Teacher of the Year Award University of Washington, Department of Orthopaedics & Sports Medicine Residency Program 2005-2006
- Howard Rosen Outstanding Table Instructor Award AO/ASIF Advanced Principles and Techniques of Operative Fracture Management (Marco Island, Florida) June 4-9-2006
- University of Ottawa Surgical Residents Day, Honorable Mention Project Title: A New Concept of External Fixation of the Distal Radius - A Biochemical Study (Ottawa, Canada) May 1997
- The Ontario Thoracic Society Studentship Award Grant funding for a research project in the field of respiratory medicine (Ottawa, Canada) April 1988
Memberships & Publications
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons
- AO/ASIF North America
- Orthopedic Trauma Association
- The Canadian Orthopedic Association
- Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
- The College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario
Surgeries & Diagnosis
Common Surgeries Performed
I treat acute fractures as well as subacute fractures and fractures that have problems healing (nonunion) and also care for the multiply injured patient.
• IM Nails (Rod)
• Plates and Screws
• External Fixation
Common Injuries Treated
• Clavicle (Collarbone)
• Proximal Humerus
• Humerus Shaft Fracture
Elbow Fractures And Dislocations
• Radial Head Fracture
• Coronoid Fracture
• Terrible Triad
• Olecranon Fracture
• Monteggia Fracture
• Distal Humerus Fracture
• Complex Fracture Dislocations
• Radius And Ulna Shaft Fractures
• Galeazzi Fractures
• Femoral Neck Fractures
• Intertrochanteric/Pertrochanteric/Subtrochanteric Femur Fractures
• Femur Fractures
• Supracondylar Femur Fractures
• Periprosthetic Femur Fractures (fractures around hip and knee replacements)
• Tibial Plateau Fractures
• Tibia Shaft Fractures
• Lateral Malleolus Fractures
• Bimalleolar Ankle Fractures
• Trimalleolar Ankle Fractures
• Tibial Pilon Fractures
• Lisfranc Injuries
• Talus Fractures
• Calcaneus Fractures (Heel Bone)
• Metatarsal Fractures
• Tarsal Fractures
Scientific Publications: (PubMed Listing)
1. Scolaro JA, Marecek G, Barei DP. Management of Syndesmotic Disruption in Ankle Fractures: A Critical Analysis Review. JBJS Reviews. 2014;2(12), pending indexing.
2. Gupta A, Barei DP, Khwaja A, Beingessner DM. Single-staged Treatment of Terrible Triad Elbow Injuries Using a Standardized Protocol Results in Functional Motion in the Majority of Patients. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2014 Jul;472(7):2075-83.
3. Sagi HC, Jordan CJ, Barei DP, Serrano-Riera R. Indomethacin Prophylaxis for Heterotopic Ossification after Acetabular Fracture Surgery Increases the Risk for Non-Union. J. Orthop Trauma. 2014 Jul;28(7)377-83.
4. Eastman JG, Firoozabadi R, Benirschke SK, Barei DP, Dunbar RP. Entrapped Posteromedial Structures in Pilon Fractures. J. Orthop. Trauma. 2014 Sep;28(9):528-33.
5. Beingessner DM, Scolaro JA, Orec RJ, Nork SE, Barei DP. Open reduction and intramedullary stabilization of subtrochanteric femur fractures: A retrospective study of 56 cases. Injury. 2013 Aug 20.
6. Bishop JA, Dikos GD, Mickelson D, Barei DP. Open Reduction and Intramedullary Nail Fixation of Closed Tibia Fractures. Orthopedics. 2012 Nov1;35(11)1631-4.
7. Barei DP, Beingessner DM. Open Distal Femur Fractures Treated with Lateral Locked Implants: Union, Secondary Bone Grafting, and Predictive Parameters. Orthopedics. 2012 Jun;35(6):e843-6.
8. Miller AN, Barei DP, Iaquinto JM, Ledoux WR, Beingessner DM. Iatrogenic Syndesmosis Malreduction Via Clamp and Screw Placement. J. Orthop Trauma. 2013 Feb;27(2):100-6.
9. Beingessner DM, Moon E, Barei DP, Morshed S. Biomechanical Analysis of the Less Invasive Stabilization System for Mechanically Unstable Fractures of the Distal Femur: Comparison of Titanium versus Stainless Steel and Bicortical versus Unicortical Fixation. J Trauma. 2011 Sep;71(3):620-4.
10. Streubel PN, Glasgow D, Wong A, Barei DP, Ricci WM, Gardner MJ. Sagittal Plane Deformity in Bicondylar Tibial Plateau Fractures. J. Orthop Trauma. 2011 Sep;25(9):560-5.
11. Mehta S, Gardner MJ, Barei DP, Benirschke SK, Nork SE. Reduction Strategies Through the Anterolateral Exposure for Fixation of Type B and C Pilon Fractures. J Orthop Trauma. 2011 Feb;25(2):116-22.
12. Russell GV, Graves ML, Archdeacon MT, Barei DP, Brien GA, Porter SE. The Clamshell Osteotomy: A New Technique to Correct Complex Diaphyseal Malunions: Surgical Technique. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2010 Sep;92 Suppl 1 Pt2:158-75.
13. Graves ML, Tarquinio TA, Porter SE, Russel GV, Kedko J, Woodall J, Barei DP, Taitsman LA. Lateral Ankle Radiographs. Do We Really Understand What We are Seeing? J Orthop Trauma. 2011 Feb;25(2):106-9.
14. Viskontas DG, Nork SE, Barei DP, Dunbar RP. Technique of Reduction and Fixation of Unicondylar Medial Hoffa Fracture. Am J Orthop. 2010 Sep;39(9):424-428.
15. Yoo BJ, Beingessner DM, Barei DP. Stabilization of the Posteromedial Fragment in Bicondylar Tibial Plateau Fractures: A Mechanical Comparison of Locking and Non-Locking Single and Dual Plating Methods. J. Trauma. 2010 Jul;69(1):148-55.
16. Barei DP, Shafer BL, Beingessner DM, Gardner MJ, Nork SE, Routt MLC. The Impact of ORIF on Acute Pain Management in Unstable Pelvic Ring Injuries. J Trauma. 2010 April;68(4):949-53.
17. Mehta S, Mirza AJ, Dunbar RP, Barei DP, Benirschke SK. A Staged Treatment Plan for the Management of Type II and Type IIIA Open Calcaneus Fractures. J. Orthop. Trauma. 2010 Mar;24(3):142-147.
18. Taitsman LA, Lynch JR, Agel J, Barei DP, Nork SE. Risk Factors for Femoral Nonunion Following Femoral Shaft Fracture. J Trauma. 2009 Dec;67(6):1389-92.
19. Della Rocca G, Nork SE, Barei DP, Taitsman LA, Benirschke SK. Fractures of the Sustentaculum Tali: Injury Characteristics and Surgical Technique for Reduction. Foot & Ankle Intl. 2009 Nov;30(11):1037-41.
20. Bryant GK, Morshed S, Agel J, Henley MB, Barei DP, Taitsman LA, Nork SE. Isolated Locked Compression Plating for Vancouver Type B1 Periprosthetic Femoral Fractures. Injury. 2009 Nov;40(11):118-06.
21. Parada S, Beingessner DM, Barei DP. Technical Tip: Calcaneus Fracture Reduction Using A Novel Threaded Wire Technique. Foot & Ankle Intl. 2009 Aug;30(8):791-3.
22. Aminian A, Howe CR, Sangeorzan BJ, Benirschke SK, Nork SE, Barei DP. Ipsilateral Talar and Calcaneal Fractures: A Retrospective Review of Complications and Sequlae. Injury. 2009 Feb;40(2):139-45.
23. Russell GV, Graves ML, Archdeacon MT, Barei DP, Brien GA, Porter SE. The Clamshell Osteotomy: A Simple Technique to Correct Complex Diaphyseal Malunions. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2009 Feb;91(2):314-24.
24. Barei DP, Nork SE. Fractures of the Tibial Plafond. Foot & Ankle Clin. 2008 Dec;13(4):671-91.
25. Maheshwari R, Taitsman LA, Barei DP. Single Incision Fasciotomy for Compartmental Syndrome of the Leg. J Orthop Trauma. 2008 Nov-Dec;22(10):723-30.
26. Brennan ML, Taitsman LA, Barei DP, Puttler E, Nork SE. Shortening Osteotomy and Compression Plating for Atrophic Humeral Nonunions: Surgical Technique. J Orthop Trauma. 2008 Oct;22(9):643-7.
27. Kubiak EN, Camuso MR, Barei DP, Nork SE. Operative Treatment of Ipsilateral Noncontiguous Unicondylar Tibial Plateau and Shaft Fractures: Combining Plates and Nails. J Orthop Trauma. 2008 Sep;22(8):560-5.
28. Nork SE, Barei DP, Gardner MJ, Schildhauer TA, Mayo KA, Benirschke SK. Operative Fixations of Displaced Type IV, V, and VI Glenoid Fractures. J Orthop Trauma. 2008 Aug;22(7):487-93.
29. Gardner MJ, Nork SE, Barei DP, Kramer PA, Sangeorzan BJ, Benirschke SK. Secondary Soft Tissue Compromise in Tongue-Type Calcaneus Fractures. J Orthop Trauma. 2008 Aug;22(7):439-45.
30. Gardner MJ, Mehta S, Barei DP, Nork SE. Treatment Protocol for Open AO/OTA Type C3 Pilon Fractures with Segmental Bone Loss. J Orthop Trauma. 2008 Aug;22(7):451-7.
31. Dunbar RP, Barei DP, Kubiak EN, Nork SE. Early Limited Internal Fixation of Diaphyseal Extensions in Select Pilon Fractures: Upgrading AO/OTA Type-C Fractures to AO/OTA Type-B. J Orthop Trauma. 2008 Jul;22(6):426-9.
32. Howard JL, Agel J, Barei DP, Benirschke SK, Nork SE. A Prospective Study Evaluating Incision Placement and Wound Healing for Tibial Plafond Fractures. J Orthop Trauma. 2008 May-June;22(5):299-305.
33. Barei DP, O'Mara T, Taitsman LA, Dunbar RP, Nork. Frequency and Fracture Morphology of the Posteromedial Fragment in Bicondylar Tibial Plateau Fracture Patterns. J Orthop Trauma. 2008 March:22(3):176-182.
34. Lynch JR, Taitsman LA, Barei DP, Nork SE. Femoral Nonunion: A Review of Risk Factors and Treatment Alternatives. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2008 Feb;16(2):88-97.
35. Barei DP, Agel J, Swiontkowski MF. Current Utilization, Interpretation, and Recommendations. The Musculoskeletal Function Assessment (MFA/SMFA). J Orthop Trauma. 2007 Nov-Dec;21(10):738-42.
36. Barei DP, Taitsman LA, Beingessner DM, Dunbar RP, Nork SE. Open Diaphyseal Long Bone Fractures: A Reduction Method Using Devitalized or Extruded Osseous Fragments. J Orthop Trauma. 2007 Sep;21(8):574-8.
37. Nork SE, Barei DP, Schildhauer TA, Agel J, Holt SK,Schrick JL, Sangeorzan BJ. Intramedullary Nailing of Proximal Quarter Tibial Fractures. J Orthop Trauma. 2006 Sep;20(8):523-528.
38. Schildhauer TA, Bellabarba C, Nork SE, Barei DP, Routt ML, Chapman JR. Decompression and Lumbopelvic Fixation for Highly Displaced Sacral Fracture-Dislocation with Neurologic Deficits. J Orthop Trauma. 2006 Aug;20(7):447-457.
39. Barei DP, Nork SE, Mills WJ, Coles CP, Henley MB, Benirschke SK. Functional Outcomes of Severe Bicondylar Tibial Plateau Fractures Treated with Dual Incisions and Medial and Lateral Plating. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2006 Aug;88(8):1713-21.
40. Taitsman LA, Coles CP, Barei DP, Nork SE. Open Clavicle Fractures and Associated Injuries. J Orthop Trauma. 2006 Jul;20(6):396-399.
41. Taitsman LA, Frank JB, Mills WJ, Barei DP, Nork SE. Osteochondral Fracture of the Distal Lateral Femoral Condyle: A Report of Two Cases. J Orthop Trauma. 2006 May;20(5):358-362.
42. Coles CP, Barei DP, Nork SE, Taitsman LA, Hanel DP, Henley MB. The Olecranon Osteotomy: A Six-Year Experience in the Treatment of Intra-Articular Distal Humerus Fractures. J Orthop Trauma. 2006 Mar;20(3):164-71.
43. Barei DP, Nork SE, Bellabarba C, Sangeorzan. Is The Absence of an Ipsilateral Fibular Fracture Predictive of Increased Radiographic Tibial Pilon Severity? J Orthop Trauma. 2006 Jan;20(1):6-10.
44. Dunbar RP, Nork SE, Barei DP, Mills WJ. Provisional Plating of Type III Open Tibial Fractures Prior to Intramedullary Nailing. J Orthop Trauma. 2005 Jul;19(6):415-7.
45. Heetveld MJ, Raaymakers EL, Van Walsum AD, Barei DP, Stellar EP. Observer Assessment of Femoral Neck Radiographs After Reduction and Dynamic Hip Screw Fixation. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2005 Apr;125(3):160-5. Epub 2005 Mar 2.
46. Nork SE, Aflatoon K, Segina DN, Barei DP, Henley MB, Holt SK, Benirschke SK. The Association Between Supracondylar-Intercondylar Distal Femoral Fractures and Coronal Plane Fractures. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2005 mar;87(3):564-569.
47. O'Mara T, Barei DP, Taitsman LA, Vallier H, Chapman. Pertrochanteric Femur Fracture at the Proximal End of a Retrograde Intramedullary Nail: A Case Report. Injury Extra. 2005 36(7):271-276.
48. Barei DP, Nork SE, Mills WJ, Henley MB, Benirschke SK. Complications Associated With Internal Fixation of High Energy Bicondylar Tibial Plateau Fractures Utilizing A Two-Incision Technique. J Orthop Trauma. 2004 Nov;18(10):649-57.
49. Vallier HA, Nork SE, Barei DP, Benirschke SK, Sangeorzan BJ. Operative Management of Talar Neck Fractures: Results and Outcomes and the Effect of Timing. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2004 Aug;86(8):1616-1624.
50. Mills WJ, Barei DP, McNair P. The Value of the Ankle-Brachial Pressure Index in the Diagnosis of Arterial Injury After Knee Dislocation. J Trauma. 2004 Jun:56(6):1261-5.
51. Barei DP, Schildhauer TA, Nork SE. Noncontiguous Fractures of the Femoral Neck, Femoral Shaft, and Distal Femur. J Trauma. 2003 Jul;55(1):80-6.
52. Barei DP, Bellabarba C, Sangeorzan BJ, Benirschke SK. Fractures of the Calcaneus. Orthopaedic Clinic NA 33(1):263-85, 2002.
53. Barei DP, Bellabarba C, Mills WJ, Routt ML Jr. Percutaneous Management of Unstable Pelvic Ring Disruptions: A Review. Injury. 32 Suppl1: SA33-44, 2001.
54. Barei DP, Moreau G, Scarborough MT, Neel MD. Percutaneous Radiofrequency Ablation of Osteoid Osteoma. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 373:115-24, 2000.
55. Bouchard JA, Barei DP, Cayer D, O'Neil J. Outcome of Femoral Shaft Fractures in the Elderly. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 332:105-9, 1996.
Summit in Seattle 2012
Biomechanics of Hip Osteotomies
Dr. Allan F. Tencer, UW Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine
Dr. David Barei, UW Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine
The hip joint is an amazing part of our skeleton as it is capable of transmitting our body weight across an angle. This imposes great mobility to our hip joints but places a great deal of biomechanical stress on this bone. Dr. David Barei, Associate Professor of Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine at Harborview Medical Center, provides examples of surgeries in which experienced Orthopaedic surgeons can change the angle of the hip joint and with that provide better long term function of the original hip joint. Dr. Allan Tencer, a Research Professor with the Department of Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine has done extensive research on the forces which are transmitted through the hip joint and factors which influence its long term function.
Summit in Seattle 2011
Complex Elbow Fractures
Injuries around the elbow have frustrated patients and treatment providers alike since the onset of recorded time. The elbow is an incredibly strong yet mobile joint. Fractures and ligament tears to the elbow are notoriously associated with loss of motion and pain and may result in chronic functional limitations. In this program two outstanding experts review their considerable experience in treating these injuries. Dr. Beingessner discusses injuries to the forearm side of the elbow joint while Dr. Barei discusses fractures above the elbow joint. Ranging from simple to complex fractures the principles of appropriately assessing and understanding the injuries at hand and the value of experience and exacting technique in treating these fractures is underscored in this presentation.
Summit in Seattle 2010
Midfoot Fractures: Are Lisfranc Injuries Better Treated with Internal Fixation and Fusion?
Dr. Cliff Jones, Michigan State University
Dr. David Barei, Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine, University of Washington
Injuries to the midfoot joints commonly involve a structure referred to as Lisfranc Joint. Nontreatment of a disruption of this joint frequently results in a collapsed and painful midfoot. Dr. Barei and Dr. Jones compare the treatment results of surgery with primary fusion of the injured joints to results achieved with temporary stabilization.
April 4, 2012 Grand Rounds Video: Compartmental Syndromes: Are they still a problem?
David P. Barei MD, FRCSC, Professor
Kyle F. Chun, MD, Orthopaedic Surgery Resident
Benjamin W. Starnes MD, FACS, Professor of Surgery
Sigvard T. Hansen Jr., MD, Professor
Frederick A. Matsen III, MD, Professor
A compartmental syndrome is a condition where increased pressure within any closed space compromises the circulation and function of the tissues within that space. These syndromes are rare, but they rank high in terms of impact, patient outcomes, and medical liability. UW Orthopaedics & Sports Medicine resident Kyle Chun along with UW Medicine physicians Benjamin Starnes and David Barei open the program with a review of the clinical diagnosis, pathophysiology, and surgical approaches to comparmental syndromes. In the second half, they are joined by UW Medicine Drs. Sigvard T. Hansen and Frederick Matsen for a discussion centered on case studies and questions from an audience of peers and colleagues.
September 7, 2011 Grand Rounds Video: Clearing up controversies in Ankle Fracture Management
In this Grand Rounds presentation, UW Medicine physicians Greg Blaisdell, David Barei, and Robert Dunbar discuss current issues in the treatment of ankle fractures, one the most commonly operatively treated injuries in adults. Although often referred to as simple injuries requiring routine fixation, debate continues about how to determine ankle stability in even the simplest patterns. Orthopaedic specialists continue to rely on classification systems that help with pattern recognition, but provide little help in developing treatment algorithms. The speakers present a number of case studies to the audience of health care professionals, who are then polled on how they would treat a given patient. Standard procedures for diagnosis, treatment, and management of ankle fractures soon lead to controversy when one considers individual patients and their complicating host factors.
May 5, 2010 Grand Rounds Video: Periprosthetic Fractures
Periprosthetic fractures occur around total joint replacements and are difficult to treat. Occurring most often in older patients with multiple medical conditions, they require surgical expertise in both reconstruction and trauma.
Moderated by Brian Daines, MD, this lecture reviews treatment options for periprosthetic fractures and a discussion of case of studies with UW Medicine physicians David Barei, MD and Howard Chansky, MD. Learn how these orthopedic surgeons at UW Medical Center and Harborview Medical Center are working together to offer patients treatment options for these challenging injuries.
Clinical research on all aspects of fracture care with a focus on patient outcomes.