Program Director, Musculoskeletal Oncology Fellowship
Specialty: Oncology Service
College: Kinesiology, University of Ottawa, Canada
Medical School: University of Ottawa, Canada
Internship: University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
Residency: University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
Fellowship: Children's Hospital Boston, Boston, MA
Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Canada
Board Certification: Board Certified
UW Medicine Bio: http://www.uwmedicine.org/bios/darin-davidson
About Dr. Davidson
Dr. Davidson is an orthopedic oncologist working at UW as an assistant professor. He completed residency training in orthopedic surgery at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, Canada. Following this, he completed a fellowship in pediatric orthopedics at Children’s Hospital Boston and a fellowship in musculoskeletal oncology at Mount Sinai Hospital in Toronto, Canada.
Patient Care Philosophy
My treatment philosophy is to provide patients and their families with specialized, multi-disciplinary care of bone and soft-tissue tumors in a compassionate and patient-focused fashion.
Spending time with family, running, cooking, reading, and traveling
Evaluation, diagnosis, and management of bone and soft tissue tumors
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons
- Canadian Orthopaedic Association
- Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
- Pediatric Orthopaedic Society of North America
Nothing to disclose; Submitted on: 10/01/2014
Surgeries & Diagnosis
Bone grafting, allograft or autograft
Curettage of bone lesion, with or without adjuvant, cement or bone graft
Excision of bone and soft-tissue tumor
Limb-salvage surgery with or without reconstruction
Multidisciplinary sarcoma treatment (chemotherapy, surgery, radiation therapy)
Aneurysmal bone cyst
Benign bone tumor
Benign soft tissue tumor
Clear cell sarcoma
Langerhans cell histiocytosis
Malignant bone tumor (sarcoma)
Malignant fibrous histiocytosis (MFH)
Malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumor
Malignant soft-tissue tumor (sarcoma)
Metastatic disease of bone and soft tissue
Multiple myeloma (plasmacytoma)
Peripheral nerve sheath tumor (schwannoma)
Pleomorphic Undifferentiated Sarcoma
Pigmented villonodular synovitis (PVNS)
Primitive neuroectodermal tumor (PNET)
Unicameral bone cyst
- Toms AD, Davidson D, Masri BA, Duncan CP. The Management of Peri-prosthetic Infection in Total Joint Arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Br 2006; 88: 149-155.
- Jarvis J, Davidson D, Letts M. Management of Subtrochanteric Fractures in Skeletally Immature Adolescents. J Trauma 2006; 60: 613-619.
- Davidson D, Rowan R, Reilly C. Lumbosacral Nerve Root Anomaly Associated with Spondylolisthesis in an Adolescent: A Case Report and Review of the Literature. Spine 2006; 31(19): E718-E721.
- Davidson D, Wilson DC, Jando VT, Masri BA, Duncan CP, Wilson DR. Accuracy of Cut-Off Acetabular Reamers for Minimally Invasive Total Hip Arthroplasty. Clin Orthop 2006; 453: 168-172.
- Slobogean GP, Kennedy SA, Davidson D, O’Brien PJ. Single Versus Multiple Dose Antibiotic Prophylaxis in the Surgical Treatment of Closed Fractures: A Meta-Analysis. J Orthop Trauma 2008; 22: 264-269.
- Davidson D, Pike J, Garbuz D, Duncan CP, Masri BA. Current Concepts Review: Intraoperative Fractures Periprosthetic Fractures During Total Hip Arthroplasty: Evaluation and Management. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2008; 90(9): 2000-2012.
- Lefaivre KA, Macadam SA, Davidson DJ, Gandhi R, Chan H, Broekhuyse HM. Length of Stay, Mortality, Morbidity and Delay to Surgery in Hip Fractures. J Bone Joint Surg Br 2009; 91: 922-927.
- Pike J, Davidson D, Garbuz D, Duncan CP, O’Brien PJ, Masri BA. Principles of Treatment for Periprosthetic Femoral Shaft Fractures Around Well-fixed Total Hip Arthroplasty. J Am Acad Orthop Surg 2009; 17(11) 677-688.
- Davidson D, Ghag A, Beauchamp RD, Treadle SJ, Mulpuri K. Inter-observer and Intra-observer Agreement in the Diagnosis of Avascular Necrosis of the Femoral Head in Slipped Capital Femoral Epiphysis. J Child Orthop 2010; 4: 327-330.
- Davidson D, Noonan VK, Dvorak MF, Zhang H, Fisher CG. The Impact of Patient Expectation on Outcome Following Treatment for Spinal Trauma: Part 1 What Are Spine Surgeons Telling Their Patients? Spine 2010; 35(19): 1807-1811.
- Davidson D, Mulpuri K, Mathias RG. Skeptical Thinking Series: An Introduction to Skeptical Thinking in the Evaluation of Claims. J Pediatr Orthop 2011; 20: 191-193.
Health-related quality of life, cost-effectiveness research and patient-reported outcomes.
Research Lab: Sarcoma Quality of Life (SarcQOL) Lab