Specialties: Hip Preservation Surgeries, Hip & Knee Artoplasty, Arthritis Care
College: University of California, Berkeley
Medical School: University of Southern California, Los Angeles
Graduate School: Clinical Master's Program, Orthopaedic Surgery Research, Mayo Clinic
Residency: Mayo Clinic
Fellowships: Orlando Regional Medical Center; Washington University in Saint Louis
Board Certified: Yes
UW Medicine Bio: http://www.uwmedicine.org/bios/adam-sassoon
About Dr. Sassoon
Dr. Adam Sassoon is board ceritifed by the American Association of Orthopaedic Surgeons and dual-fellowship trained orthopedic surgeon with expertise in joint preservation, joint replacement, and orthopedic trauma. Dr. Sassoon is one of the nations leading hip preservation surgeons. Dr. Sassoon currently focuses his clinical efforts on revision and primary total joint replacement of the hip and knee, partial joint replacement, hip resurfacing, hip arthroscopy, hip preservation procedures (periacetabular osteotomies and surgical dislocations), and post-traumatic reconstruction.
Dr. Sassoon completed his orthopedic surgery residency at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. While in residency, he also completed a Master’s Degree in Biomedical Science based on work focusing on tissue engineering using adult derived stem cells. He was given the H.A. Peterson Award for scholarly writing, and was a finalist for the Patrick J. Kelly Research Award for works completed during this time. Additionally, he was the first individual to be awarded three separate Mayo International Health Program Grants for orthopedic outreach in Central America performed while in residency.
Following residency, Dr. Sassoon completed an orthopedic traumatology fellowship at Orlando Regional Medical Center and a subsequent fellowship in hip and knee preservation, resurfacing, and replacement at Washington University in St. Louis. During these two years, Dr. Sassoon performed and assisted in over 1500 surgeries.
In addition to time spent caring for his patients, Dr. Sassoon has also devoted himself to advancing the field of orthopedic surgery and has contributed over 20 original, peer-reviewed, scientific articles to the medical literature, and authored multiple book chapters in orthopedic surgical texts. His research has also been showcased in regional and national orthopedic scientific meetings on over 40 occasions.
Dr. Sassoon is a member of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons, Orthopedic Trauma Association, Orthopedic Research Society, International Congress for Joint Reconstruction, Mid-America Orthopedic Association, Alpha Omega Alpha, and Phi Beta Kappa.
Patient Care Philosophy
"The best interest of the patient is the only interest to be considered," a quote from William J. Mayo is one that has resonated with Dr. Sassoon since he began his training. Dr. Sassoon treats each patient with respect to their individual needs and goals in an attempt to maximize their outcomes from a biological, psychological, and social standpoint. Dr. Sassoon takes great pride in directing the efforts of a multidisciplinary team in the restoration of patient comfort, mobility, and independence, so his patients can get back to enjoying their lives, families, and friends.
Primary/Revision Hip and Knee Arthroplasty
Post-Traumatic Reconstruction of the Hip and Knee
Geriatric Fracture Care
Clinical Outcomes Following Revision Hip and Knee Arthroplasty
Patient Expectations Following Hip and Knee Arthroplasty
Cost-effectiveness of Orthopaedic Technology
Health Care Policy
Metal Sensitivity in Arthroplasty
Periprosthetic Fracture Care
Click here to watch Dr. Sassoon interviewed regarding some of his research!
Click here to watch Dr. Sassoon discuss revision hip arthroplasty and what his research unfolds!
Adam enjoys spending time with his family, being outdoors, listening to music, reading, and following the Dodgers.
Awards and Honors
- 2015 American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons Health Policy Fellow
- 2013: AO Trauma North America Faculty Member
- 2013: SOA Harley and Betty Baxter Resident/Fellow Research Award
- 2012: HA Peterson Award for Scholarly Writing in Orthopedic Surgery
- 2011: Awarded Mayo Clinic International Health Program Grant to participate in Operation Walk Nicaragua, 2012
- 2010: Patrick J. Kelly Research Award Finalist
- 2009: Awarded Mayo Clinic International Health Program Grant to participate in Operation Walk Nicaragua, 2010
- 2008: Awarded Mayo Clinic International Health Program Grant for a Pediatric Orthopedic relief trip to the Dominican Republic
- 2007: Graduated Highest Distinction, Keck School of Medicine
- 2006: Alpha Omega Alpha
- 2006: Nomination for the Eric Cohen, Introduction to Clinical Medicine Award
- Western Orthopaedic Assosciation
- Washington State Orthopaedic Association
- AO Trauma North America
- Mid-America Orthopedic Association
- Orthopedic Trauma Association
- International Congress for Joint Reconstruction
- American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons
- Orthopedic Research Society
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Medical Association
- Mayo Alumni Association
- Alpha Omega Alpha
- Phi Beta Kappa
- University of California at Berkeley Alumni Association
- Golden Key National Honor Society Membership
- National Society of Collegiate Scholars Membership
Nothing to disclose; Submitted on: 10/01/2014
Surgeries & Diagnosis
- Total hip replacement
- Hip preservation
- Total knee replacement
- Knee arthroscopy
- Complex total hip and knee revision
- Primary/Revision hip and knee artrhoplasty
- Minimally invasive total hip replacement (Direct Anterior Total Hip Replacement)
- Minimally-invasive partial knee replacement (unicompartmental)
- Knee osteotomy
- Hemiarthroplasty for hip fracture
- Open reduction internal fixation (repair) of hip fractures
- Femoroacetabular osteoplasty
- Minimally invasive (quadriceps-sparing) total knee replacement
- Post-Traumatic Reconstruction of the Hip and Knee
- Hemiresurfacing arthroplasty of the hip (partial hip replacement)
- Periacetabular osteotomy
- Femoral osteotomy
- Osteoarthritis (hip/knee)
- Rheumatoid Arthritis (hip/knee)
- Avascular necrosis (osteonecrosis of the femoral head)
- Developmental dysplasia of the hip
- Metastatic disease of the hip/pelvis/knee
- Hip fracture
- Meniscus tears in the knee
- Hip impingement (femoroacetabular osteoplasty)
- Painful total hip or total knee
- Periprosthetic infections
- Joint infections
- Surgical Hip dislocation
- Dislocated Hip/knee
- Post traumatic arthritis
- Geriatric Fracture
Peer Reviewed Publications
- Adam Sassoon, MD and George Haidukewych, MD. Converting Failed Internal Fixation to THA. ICJR Feature Article. November 2013. http://icjr.net/article_57_failed_fixation.htm
- Adam Sassoon, MD; Michael Torchia, MD; William Cross, MD; Joseph Cass, MD; and Stephen Sems, MD. Fibular Shaft Allograft Support of Posterior Joint Depression in Tibial Plateau Fractures. J Orthop Trauma. 2013 Oct 10. [Epub ahead of print].
- Adam Sassoon, MD; Nathaniel Nelms, MD; and Robert Trousdale MD. Intraoperative Fracture During Staged Total Knee Reimplantation in the Treatment of Periprosthetic Infection. J Arthroplasty. Accepted for publication. Manuscript ID: JOA-D-13-00503
- Adam A. Sassoon, MD; Jeffrey R. Petrie, MD; George J. Haidukewych, MD. Periprosthetic Fractures About The Knee: Clinical Pearls and Pitfalls. Seminars in Arthroplasty. Vol. 24, Issue 3, Pages 152-155
- Jeffrey R. Petrie, MD; Adam A. Sassoon, MD; George J. Haidukewych, MD. Two-Stage Revision For The Infected Total Knee Arthroplasty: The Gold Standard. Seminars in Arthroplasty. Vol. 24, Issue 3, Pages 149-151.
- Jeffrey R. Petrie, MD; Adam A. Sassoon, MD; George J. Haidukewych, MD. When Femoral Fracture Fixation Fails: Salvage Options. Bone Joint J. 2013 Nov 1;95-B(11 Suppl A):7-10. doi: 10.1302/0301-620X.95B11.32896.
- Jeffrey R. Petrie, MD; Adam A. Sassoon, MD; George J. Haidukewych, MD. Pelvic Discontinuity: Current Solutions. Bone Joint J. 2013 Nov 1;95-B(11 Suppl A):109-13. doi: 10.1302/0301-620X.95B11.32764.
- John Riehl, MD; Adam Sassoon, MD; Keith Connolly; George Haidukewych, MD, Kenneth Koval, MD. Retained Bullet Removal in Civilian Pelvis and Extremity Gunshot Injuries: A Systematic Review. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2013 Aug 28. [Epub ahead of print]
- Obinna Adigweme, MD; Adam Sassoon, MD; Joshua Langford, MD; and George Haidukewych, MD. Periprosthetic Patellar Fractures. Journal of Knee Surgery. J Knee Surg. 2013 Aug 23. [Epub ahead of print]
- Jeffrey Petrie, MD; Adam Sassoon, MD; and Joshua Langford, MD. Complications of Patellar Fracture Repair: Treatment, and Results. J Knee Surg. 2013 Aug 16. [Epub ahead of print]
- Adam A Sassoon, MD and Robert T Trousdale, MD. Podium Disclosures at the 2012 AAOS Meeting: An Exercise in Going Through the Motions. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2013 Apr 17;95(8):e511-4
- Adam A Sassoon, MD; Michele R D’Apuzzo, MD; Stephen A Sems, MD; Joseph Cass, MD; and Tad M Mabry, MD. Total Hip Arthroplasty for Femoral Neck Fracture: Comparing In-Hospital Mortality, Complications, and Disposition to an Elective Patient Population. J Arthroplasty. 2013 Mar [Epub ahead of print]
- Adam A Sassoon, MD; Bradley S Schoch, MD; Peter C Rhee, DO; Cathy D Schleck, BS; William S Harmsen, MS; John W Sperling, MD; and Robert H Cofield, MD. The Role of Eccentric and Offset Humeral Head Variations in Total Shoulder Arthroplasty. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2013. Jan 9. Epub ahead of print
- Adam A Sassoon, MD and Robert T Trousdale, MD. Technical Considerations in Total Hip Arthroplasty after Femoral and Periacetabular Osteotomies. Orthop Clin North Am. 2012 Jul;43(3):387-93. Epub 2012 Jun 13.
- Adam A Sassoon, MD, MS. Optimization of Applied Tissue Engineering in Flexor Tendon Repair Through Comparative Tenocyte Differentiation of Adult Derived Mesenchymal Stromal Cells. Dissertation. College of Medicine – Mayo Clinic. ATT 1509199. http://proquest.umi.com/pqdlink?did=2660280911&Fmt=7&clientI d=79356&RQT=309&VName=PQD. May 2012.
- Adam A Sassoon, MD; Patrick D Fitz-Gibbon, BS; William Harmsen, MS; and Steven L Moran, MD. Enchondroma of the Hand: Factors affecting Recurrence, Healing, Motion, and Malignant Transformation. J Hand Surg Am. 2012. Apr 26. Epub ahead of print.
- Adam A Sassoon, MD; Yu-Long Sun, PhD; Dirk R Larson, MS; Mary L Maas; Chunfeng Zhao, MD; Jin Jen, MD, PhD; and Peter C Amadio, MD. Skeletal Muscle and Bone Marrow Derived Stromal Cells: A Comparison of Tenocyte Differentiation Capabilities. J Orthop Res. 2012 Apr 17. Epub ahead of print.
- Adam A Sassoon, MD; Peter C Rhee, DO; Cathy D Schleck, BS; William S Harmsen, MS; John W Sperling, MD; and Robert H Cofield, MD. Revision Total Shoulder Arthroplasty for Painful Glenoid Arthrosis Following Humeral Head Replacement: The Non-Traumatic Shoulder. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2012. Mar 23. Epub ahead of print.
- Peter C Rhee, DO; Adam A Sassoon, MD; Cathy D Schleck, BS; William S Harmsen, MS; John W Sperling, MD; and Robert H Cofield, MD. Revision Total Shoulder Arthroplasty for Painful Glenoid Arthrosis Following Humeral Head Replacement: The Post-Traumatic Shoulder. J Shoulder Elbow Surg 2011. Epub ahead of print.
- Peter C Rhee, DO; Adam A Sassoon, MD; Michael J Stuart, MD; Diane L Dahm, MD Arthroscopic Treatment of Localized Pigmented Villonodular Synovitis: Long Term Functional Results. Am J Orthop. 2010 Sep;39(9):E90-4.
- Sassoon, Adam; Ruan, Weiming; An, Feng; Simko, Jeff; Liu, Bin. Identification of Clinically Significant Tumor Antigens by Selecting Phage Antibody Library on Tumor Cells in situ using Laser Capture Microdissection. Mol Cell Proteomics. 2006 Dec; 5(12):2364-73. Epub 2006 Sep 18.
- Sassoon, Adam. The Lesson, an essay on Humanism in Medicine. Synasthesia, A Literary Magazine for the Keck School of Medicine. Volume 1, 2005.
- Sassoon, Adam. Response to: Nozick, Cohen, and Scheffler: Entitlement, Ownership, and a Meaningful Life. Harvest Moon, an Undergraduate Journal of Philosophy. Volume 2, May 2003
- Sassoon, Adam. Social Reality: The Product of Our Capacity to Act on Desire-Independent Reasons for Action. Harvest Moon, an Undergraduate Journal of Philosophy. Volume 1, May 2002
- Adam A Sassoon, MD and Daniel J Berry, MD. Chapter 22: Cemented Femoral Component Revision. Revision Total Hip and Knee Arthroplasty. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. 2012.
- Adam A Sassoon, MD and Arlen D Hanssen, MD: Managing Bone Loss During Revision Total Knee Arthroplasty (In Press)
- Adam A Sassoon, MD and George J Haidukewych, MD: Hip and Pelvic Reconstruction and Arthroplasty. Orthopedic Knowledge Update 11. (In Press)
- Adam A Sassoon, MD; George J Haidukewych, MD; and Joshua Langford, MD. Subtrochanteric Femur Fractures. Rockwood and Green’s Fractures in Adults. (In editorial process)
- Adam A Sassoon, MD; George J Haidukewych, MD. Chapter 23: Immediate and Post-Traumatic Total Hip Arthroplasty. Acetabular Fractures. JP Medical Publishers. (In editorial process)
- Adam A Sassoon, MD; George J Haidukewych, MD. Chapter 56: Post-Traumatic Reconstruction of the Hip Joint. Skeletal Trauma, 5th Edition. Elsevier Publications. (Drafting Chapter)
- Adam A Sassoon, MD; John C. Clohisy, MD. Perthes Disease. Hip Arthroscopy and Hip Joint Preservation Surgery. Edited by Shane J. Nho, Michael Leunig, Christopher Michael Larson, Asheesh Bedi and Bryan T. Kelly. (Drafting Chapter)
Seattle, WA 98133
Phone: (206) 520-5000 or toll free (877) 520-5000